Patricia Reider – English 110

Audience: The audience ar​​​e those that read li​tera​ry piece or perhaps watch a production or listen to an oral presentation.

In my writing, at first I only considered that my professor would be my audience, and perhaps there might be some sharing in class. I was not aware that I would be placing my writing onto a website and there is potential for anyone on the planet to read my words.

I was writing pretty much with myself as my audience. I suppose that if someone were interested in a subject that I have researched and written about, then they are welcome to consider what I have to say.

I don’t believe I have chosen my audience. I think that if I should have one it might only be by accident.

There was another course I attended this semester that required me to create an Instagram account and post images of certain assigned class activities and a certain style of architecture. I was surprised that there were people following my activity. I’ve developed a following. My feelings are confused about being part of social media, and this web page could easily be part of an enormous audience just as the Instagram account.

My feelings are mixed about having an audience, or as they are referred to in social media “followers.” The glass half full part of me thinks “Oh, how nice, such lovely comments” while the glass half empty part of me thinks “Geez this is creepy! If someone likes a photo that’s one thing, but to become a follower, I’m not keen on it.” And now I’m following a few people, so, my understanding of audience has grown that way.

The aspect of the audience still eludes me. I’m sure by the end of the summer I will have a much better understanding of having and of being an audience.

And if you’d like to see my Instagram postings, I’m @patricia_macaulay and my classwork can be seen at: #ccnygothic